“The UN reported that India’s water quality is very poor and it ranks 120th among 122 nations in terms of quality of water available to its citizens.”
Do you know why we need to drink purified water? After all, in the earlier days, boiling water was sufficient to eliminate the impurities. The answer to this question is complex and here’s why we’re breaking it down today. With the advent of industrialization, many hazardous chemicals and impurities have made their way into our systems and have affected our water quality. Our Water bodies are now full with plastic bags, poisonous chemicals and industrial waste which somehow seeps into our tap water too. Purifying water before drinking is crucial for health and safety reasons.
Here are the major sources of Water Pollution:
1. Industrial discharge: Industrial waste coming out of factories contain hazardous chemicals like lead, mercury, sulphur, asbestos and many others. These wastes if left untreated and released in the fresh water can pollute the water bodies severely.
2. Sewage Water: The sewage and wastewater is treated and discharged in rivers and water bodies. The sewage water may contain harmful pathogens and bacteria which can cause life threatening diseases.
3. Mining activities: Wastes resulting from Mining lets out sulphides from the rocks and pollutes the water bodies.
4. Oil Spills: Oil spills not only destroy sea life but also make way into our homes. The toxic chemicals and waste is dangerous for consumption and cause water pollution of alarming levels.
5. Burning of fossil fuels: The ash and gases emitted out of fossil-fuel burning are in our atmosphere. During rains, these are mixed with the rain causing it to turn into “acid rain”. That water gets mixed in our natural water bodies and makes its way into our homes.
6. Pesticides: Chemical fertilizers and pesticides used in farming make their way in the water table and water reservoirs. These pesticides if consumed by us can cause serious health concerns.
Did you know, over one lakh people die of water-borne diseases every year? A report by United Nations states that the groundwater in one-third of India’s 600 districts is not fit for drinking. It is alarming to note that concentration of iron, fluoride, salinity, and arsenic exceeds the tolerance levels. A World Resources Report states that about 70 per cent of India’s water supply is dangerously polluted with sewage effluents. Diseases like Malaria, Hepatitis, Cholera, Typhoid, Amoebiasis, Giardia and many others are all caused by consumption of contaminated water.
Here’s a look at some of the most common and harmful diseases caused by contaminated water.
1. Cholera Cholera is lethal and is a water-borne disease. If it is left unattended, it can be fatal. It is caused by a bacterium called Vibrio cholera.
2. Diarrhoea Diarrhea occurs when one consumes water which is contaminated. A diarrhoeal attack can last up to 2 weeks and can leave the person completely dehydrated.
3. Malaria Malaria is spread by the Plasmodium parasite mosquito that breeds in water bodies like lakes & stagnant water.
4. Typhoid Typhoid is caused by consumption of contaminated water and is a bacterial infection that causes high fever, exhaustion, and diarrhea. It is a bacterial infection caused by the bacteria salmonella typhi.
5. Filariasis Filariasis is a disease caused by a parasite and affects people who are in contact with or are around unsanitary water bodies such as sewers etc. It is spread through mosquitoes.
How to Prevent Water Borne Diseases?
To stay healthy and prevent the various water-borne diseases caused by drinking impure water, you must buy a water purifier for your home or office. Remember to carry filtered water if you’re going somewhere with low access to pure water. It’s better to be cautious than regret later. RO Water Purifiers are highly effective in removing disease causing impurities and pathogens. Moonbow Living Offers the Best Ro Water Purifiers in India that comes with Hexapure Technology which removes germs and bacteria, leaving only good water for your family & for the family called India. The added benefits of Mineral Fortification makes the water nutritious by adding essential minerals to the water.
So, Book a Demo today and get the TDS level of your drinking water checked, to assure safe and clean drinking water for you and your family.